Thursday, February 5, 2015

Paleo Vanilla Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

I've been making this cupcake recipe for years. I originally made it for my sons first birthday because I didn't want my one year old to be loaded up with unsavory ingredients and hipped up on sugar after his first cake experience. I felt really good serving these to him knowing that he would love the taste but that he was also getting wholesome ingredients in his body. I made these cupcakes again last week for a friends sons first birthday party. This cake recipe creates a rich and dense cake with a lightly sweet vanilla flavor. I liken it to more of a pound cake type consistency. The cake recipe was adapted from the Homemade Mommy Blog. The icing recipe is my paleo spin on a traditional cream cheese recipe.

 

Paleo Vanilla Cupcakes

Makes 20 Cupcakes

Ingredients
1 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 pasture eggs
1 cup honey (or other natural sweetener)
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 cup unsalted butter or coconut oil (I actually do 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup coconut oil)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Blend all wet ingredients together with a whisk or electric mixer.
Blend all dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together with a whisk or electric mixer.
Blend together until there are more lumps.
Fill muffin liners about 2/3 the way full with the batter.
Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool then frost.

Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients
8 oz organic cream cheese
8 oz pasture butter (I use Kerrygold)
4 tablespoons organic maple syrup
2 tablespoons local honey

Directions
Let the cream cheese and butter sit on the counter to soften and come to room temperature. Once softened, place all the ingredients into a medium sized bowl. Mix with an electric hand mixer until the icing is smooth.

For these particular cupcakes I placed the icing in a plastic sandwich bag and then cut a small piece off one bottom corner. Then I iced the cupcakes starting with a circle on the outer edge and working my way in. I like the way that looked rustically pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment